Friday, June 24, 2011

Mad Props-Slutwalk takes over the world!

About a year or so ago, I had the idea that I would write a list (book?) for my hoped-for son on what it is to be a man. I have always felt that there are rules to "manhood" and I was probably hindered in my growth without knowing, in short and simple format, what those rules were.

So, imagine this: I've just had my daughter. One night after watching her and her mother fall asleep, overcome with fierce pride and anxiety for them, I struggle to find words for my desires for them. My beautiful wife and I are already discussing the next one. I have to admit it, I want a son...badly! I was raised in a household full of women and as you may have read before, my Dad and I were it for the representatives of the Y chromosome. My meandering mind takes me to the thought of how to describe to my son the concept of what it means to be a man. To start, I decide to make a list. I have that list right here, so let me refer to it to get this right.

How To Be A Man:


  • Rule #1: Protect the weak.


Okay, that's as far as I got. All the other rules seem to refer back to this one. I can think of several moments in my life where I followed this rule, and some where I didn't. But it all comes back to this.
Protect the weak.

Open doors for others. Stand on the outside of the sidewalk. Feed, clothe, house your family. Don't take advantage; of your size, position, or abilities. I could go on, but all of these basics boil down to protecting the weak.

To that end, I want to give a shout out to the organizers of the "Slutwalk" events happening all around the world. If you haven't heard of these events, they were organized after a Toronto police officer gave a speech at a local college, where he advised the female population to not dress provocatively in order to reduce the incident of rape at the college. Another example of "blaming the victim," the officer unleashed a firestorm of feminist disapproval.
Soon, women (and men) all over the world were marching while dressed as "sluts" to remind us that No means No, once again, and that our bodies are our own, and no matter the situation, rape is rape.

I guess growing up surrounded by women has helped me to understand this simple fact that may be hard for most men.

I applaud these women who have decided to take back their identity. As a father of a young woman, I can only hope that as she comes of age this concept has been driven home, and she is free to do what it takes to make herself feel provocative, powerful and pretty, without someone twisting that to take her power. Like I said, my job is to protect the weak, and the best way to do that is to take away their weakness.

Much like the women of slutwalktoronto.com have done.



I salute you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment